Friday, October 22, 2010

World of Work


Hello, next week the grade 8's from my school are going to a field trip called world of work. Ms. Pollock want's us to create a blog post about it. Click HERE to view the assignment. The main sectors that they are focusing on are Construction Sector, Design and Manufactoring Sector, Service Sector, Information and Technology Sector, Transportation Sector. The one that appeals to me most is the Service sector because I wouldn't mind having a career in most of the listed careers, especially Fashion Technology. In the Service Sector three jobs that appeal to me are Fashion Technology, Hairstyling, and Aesthetics. I also would like cooking and baking but I'm a really picky eater and I have lots of problems digesting certain food so that wouldn't be my first choice. The sector that appeals to me the second most is the Infromation and Technology sector, some jobs from that are; Electronics, 2D and 3D character computer animation, and Graphic design (I used to want to be a graphic designer!) I have zero interest in the Transportation sector but some of the careers in that field are Aircraft maitanence, Heavy equiptment service (which sound dead boring to me, no offence) and autobody repair, which doesn't sound too bad but still isn't really my style. The manufactoring sector includes careers such as; Robotics (which looks really cool and impressive but isn't something I'd have the patience to learn), Machanical CADD and Precision Machining. The empolyment Sector sounds alright but from what I've read it's a little bit confusing. It includes Job Interview, Workplace safety and Prepared Speech, those seem like things that would be good to know but not actual jobs themselves. There are a few things that I would like to learn on the field trip and some questions I would like to ask. I want to know what the difference in salary is based on going to university and getting a job, going to collage and getting a job or going straight to work after high school. I was wondering if they think it is better to get a more realistic job that you still enjoy or follow your heart and get a career that you dream of having but that is hard to suceed in. If you had the option, would it be better to go to a collage/university where you live or outside of your city? If you plan out your high school courses based on what you might want to do post-secondary education and then after high school change your mind completely would you be fine in whatever field, or are you pretty much out of luck? I change my mind alot about what I want to do as a career, but I have a few recurring one's at the moment. Back in my second question I asked if it would be better to follow your heart and try to get your dream job or settle for something realistic that I'd still enjoy. My dream job is a Fashion Designer and my realistic career is a junior high teacher like Ms. Pollock! I remember when Ms. Pollock told us that to her, being a teacher is the best job she could ever ask for becuase she gets to teach and make a difference in our lives. That really inspired me, and I like to plan things out (like stuff to teach) and Ms. Pollock teaches subjects I would like to teach like English, Art and Drama...possibly History. I'm not sure exactly what you would have to take for those careers, University, Collage, ect. but I would work towards my goal and try my hardest to suceed. The reason behind the picture at the beginning is I've already changed my mind about what I want to do and I will probably change my mind again tomorrow. I can never just stick to one idea, so who knows what my future has in store for me?


References: skillscanada.com

-Hannah

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,

    Please email me or post a message on my blog when you get this. I need to ask you to do me a favour. On Monday, we have a new student joining our class. She has just moved here from Nepal. She will be arriving to the office before first period. I am at a workshop in the morning, and would love for her to get a nice, warm R8A greeting. Could you meet her up at the office on Monday morning? Her name is Iksha Kandangwa. Let me know if you can do this for me!

    Miss P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,

    Another fantastic post. Thanks for the shout-outs!

    ReplyDelete