Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Assignment #3 - Behind your Name

Welcome readers.
This is my second blog assignment, Behind your Name.

So as you know, my name is Hannah. There are many spellings of my name, all with different meanings. The way I spell it; Hannah is from the Hebrew name Channah, which means "favor" or "grace". Spelled without the "h" at the end my name is a short form of "Johanna" and is German, Polish or Scandinavian. My favourite meaning of Hannah is used with the spelling, Hana and is Japanese for "Blossom."

The reason I decided to include the whole meaning stuff before what I thought about my name is because I already knew the meanings of my name so my impressions wont change. Before I started this assignment I had mixed views on my name. I'm one of those people who doesn't like when other people are the same as me, weather it be music taste, clothing or their name so I do wish I had a name that was less common. In the year I was born Hannah was the the eighth most popular name, by 2000 it was second most popular after Emily, it is now ranked at number seven.

I do think my name is cool though. I mean come on, it's a palindrome! How many people can say that? Ava, Otto, Anna, Aya, Eve, Bob, that's about it. I don't really mind being called Hannah Banana (and you don't even have to use a British accent!) but please, do not call me Hannah Montana! Most of the time I'd say I quite like my name though, it seems suited to me and I can't picture myself with any other name.

My middle name Zoe, means life in Greek. The cool thing about my middle name is that it's my best friend's first name and her parents were going to name her Hannah! My mom named my sister Sarah Anne and she picked out my first name but she couldn't come up with a middle name for me so she let my dad pick it out. I REALLY like my middle name, it's a really cool, funky, artsy sort of name that is definitively suited to me. Another funny thing about the name Zoe is I had a gold fish when I was little and I named it Zoe because it meant life and I wanted it to live a long time. The gold fish lived over a year which is really long for a gold fish. A lot of people seem to be embarrassed by their middle name and don't tell people, I'm not like that, I even have my middle name on my Facebook. I have empathy for those out there who don't have middle names, because it ROCKS!

My last name, Shapiro means Sapphire and is the Yiddish name for a city in Germany. The name Shapiro is connected with the Issachar tribe, according to the Torah they are decedents of some dude named Issachar so maybe I am too! All I really know about the Shapiro side of my history is that my Grandpa's (on my dad's side) parents immigrated from Russia and Poland to Brooklyn, New York. My Grandpa moved to Montreal to peruse his career in photography and the rest on the Shapiro's stayed in New York. I just recently connected with my relatives on my Trip to New York City last March and they are such cool people! I'm really excited to learn about the Transcontinental Railway because my Mom's side of the family were connected with that.

Here is the Shapiro family crest, I found out this by researching; In the Torah sheep represent being protected. Sheep are connected with the Issachar tribe so that explains why there is one on the Shapiro crest.

My mom's last name, Toye is generally an old English name but in my family Toye was changed from the Chinese name Choy when my great-grandfather moved to Canada. The closest thing I could find to the name Choy was the name Choi and is now the fourth most common Korean surname after Kim, Lee and Park. The meaning of the name Choi is mountain.

After piecing all of that together I think my name (Gracious, Blossom, Life, Sapphire, Mountain) does suit me. Blossom, Mountain and Sapphire seem like symbolic items and they relate to nature. The meaning of my middle name rocks because I think living life to it's fullest and enjoying every bit of it is super important. I like to consider myself gracious, I'm not sure if everyone does but one time I posted as my facebook status "Describe me in one word" and someone said "compassionate." I looked up the word gracious on dictionary.com and the third meaning was: of a merciful and compassionate nature so there you go.

If I could give myself a new name it would be Mercedes Belladonna.
Mercedes because 1. It's the name of a glee character and 2. Mercedes are my favourite cars (I'm literally obsessed with them that whenever I see one I point it out to everyone by saying "Mercedes" out loud.)
Belladonna because before the Middle Ages women put a poison called Belladonna in their eyes to make them appear bigger, them they realized that it caused blindness over time. They also used Belladonna on the tips of arrows in the Middle Ages. I just thought that was a cool, historical piece of evidence.

So that's about all I'm going to write because this post is getting out of control, I may write another post on a fictional characters name but it wont be nearly as long.

Thanks for reading,
-Hannah









No comments:

Post a Comment