Friday, October 8, 2010

It gets Better...

I think that the conversation we had in class today was extremely important. I know at Fielding we have assembalies and teachers telling us all the time that we shouldn't be bullying people but they never really go in to the depth of how serious the matter is. We NEED to understand how much words can hurt, how deep they hurt when they stab us. People always talk about the need to stop being prejudice to people of a different race, religion, gender, ability but rarely does sexual orientation come up. Homophobia is the main source of bullying I see going on, "That's so gay" and "You're such a F**" are used so much in the daily lives of most youth and we need to put a stop to that. I see people being called gay and they usually blow it off but I know deep down it hurts. Not because they don't like that people are calling them gay but that people are saying in an insulting way. Gay is NOT a synonym for stupid. What if who you are was used against you, as an insult? That's so Muslim, that's so 13 year old, that's so Japanese. I mean seriously? Being murdered becuase you're gay is heartbreaking but taking your own life because you can stand to be tormented every single day. Now that's just not right. Those people could have grown up to find a cure for cancer or AIDS, they could become Prime Minister, or win the nobel peace prize. Last year people came up to me asking if I was Jewish, Bisexual or "Emo", but seriously, who the hell cares? Would you think of me any differently, is is really that important? As some of you might know I'm auditioning for Canterbury in January. One of the requirements is to write a poem, I was going to write a poem about how a lot of people diss our generation but they're forgeting who raised and we're really not that bad. Then I though about it and realized that yes, we are good people, be can do great things and turn this world around but nobody's perfect. Drawing a Nazi sign on a locker--which I witnessed--could be the start of a second Haulocaust. So instead I am writing about this very issue; Suicide. I wrote a rap a little while ago and then wrote another one after watching Dr. Phil the other day. The first one is pretty much done and the second one is still in the process of being written. Here they are:
Rap number 1 (not really related but I'm trying to connect it with rap number 2)

You open up your drawer to make yourself bleed,
And then hide it under wristbands so no one can see,
You show a cut here and there just to show that you're scared,
But people think it's just a papercut, they think it's just an accident,
But you know that it's your fears that you can't show through simple tears,
Ya, Your caught underwater and you're struggling to breathe,
But you just keep sinking deeper and deeper into your blood,
But what's blood and what's tears, just ways to cover up your fears?
You're just one big mess trying to hide under your dress,
Or better yet your fears, that trigger the tears.

Here's rap number 2 (the one I wrote after Dr. Phil)

A child takes their life almost every day,
Open up their facebook page to see "I hate you 'cause your gay."
Hey kid your life is worth it, just see the light through the tunnel.
It's okay to make a puddle when your eyes become rainclouds,
Because the puddles will dry, don't be ashamed when you cry,
Just know you're hurting more than yourself when you die.
Your life is yours, you owe nothing to no one,
Just be yourself and your haters wont mind.
It's gonna hurt when you fall from Heaven , becuase death can wait,
No one lives forever but life can be great.
Live, love, laugh may not always be true,
But it sure as hell is better than cry, hate, die.
I like the sound of his voice but I'm afraid I don't agree,
The good shouldn't die young,
They should make history.

Okay, so that's all I have for now. It's not done but the last line will probably be "Just know it gets better."

I hope you enjoyed my opinion piece and raps.

-Hannah

10 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah,

    This whole post is so beautiful and so profound. I have tears in my eyes as I finish reading it. I am so proud of you. Thank you so much for opening up like this and sharing your thoughts.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and give my best wishes to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH HANNAH I AGREE WITH YOU 100 PERCENT!
    Who cares if someone is a G.L.B.T.Q they're still the same person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job Hannah! You definately showed in your response that you're standing up for this terrible cause. People need to know that this is SO horrible and HAS to stop! You're SO right, Who cares if you're different from someone else? Like Sara said, they still would be the same person they've always been. Besides, If everyone else was the same, the world would be boring. I'm SO proud of you!

    P.S. Great idea on doing a poem about this for your Canterbury audition! More people need to hear about this and realize that it's not okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Hannah,
    Miss P and I are taking the same course and she was bragging about her students blogs. Lover your page-very grade 8-intellectual-Great!
    Hope you audio or video your raps. You are a deep thinker.
    MollyMar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for such wonderful comments! I am so happy that you all agree with me and that I can finally express what's on my mind. I was just rambling about what I thought and it's awesome to hear that you all we're moved and that you agree with how I feel. You guys are awesome!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Hannah I'm at home sick and decided to check out the blogs and wow I'm really happy that i did.
    People today think that being gay is horrbile or contagus (YOU CANT CATCH IT PEOPPLE!!) but I think itd be cool just to know someone whos gay. Or anything at that matter. I think if I had a gay friend I would be the happyest person on earth cause.
    1. They are the same person no matter what( as sara said)
    2. I can always tell him anything.
    and 3 They are the best people to talk to about bullying because they might know how it feels. Your post touched me and i thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Hannah!
    I saw your comment on my poem about the "it gets better".
    Thank you, sweetie!
    Yours is amazing too, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tara and Haneen. You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really inspiring did you write it?
    If you did its amazing!!!!! :)
    Katie.S. Toronto 8BS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Katie!
    Thanks, that means a lot to me. And yes, I did write it. Talk to you later, hopefully!
    -Hannah :)

    ReplyDelete