Monday, March 7, 2011

History Fair Reflection (4321)

4- The 4 most interesting things you learned about your topic while researching.

1. I learned that even though most of the things women did for beauty in the Victorian era were disgusting, many things women do today are very similar and just as sad and gross such as, spray tanning, real tanning, plastic surgery, botox and eating disorders.

2. I found out about bloodletting which was a thing barbers used to do since they were also doctors. They would cut your actual head or neck and release blood for some sort of health reason. That is why barber shops have that bar with blue and red stripes which symbolize a vein and an artery and also bloody bandages.

3. I learned a very interesting fact about what women did for acne in the Victorian era. They put vaginal discharge on their pimples and apparently it would go away overnight. I didn't include this on my poster but I mentioned it to a few curious judges.

4. I learned that the first form of condoms were made of animal bladders and intestines...eww! In the Victorian Era condoms weren't used that much through because people only had monogamous sex and only did so when wanting to conceive. A friend of mine that I met at Dare 2 Stand Out told me that sex being a taboo subject started in the Victorian Era, I wonder if any of the stuff I researched could have anything to do with that.

3- Three things you felt proud of on the day of the fair.

1. I felt very proud of having everything accomplished on time. At the beginning when I was researching for the History Fair I was stressing big time because I didn't think I would finish on time and I didn't like my topic and I thought I could never come close to the quality of last year's project. When Miss Pollock told me that she thought my project this year was even better than last year's it helped to give me the confidence to get everything done and be proud of my work.

2. I feel very proud to have been chosen as a "judging minion" for the French History Fair. I was exhausted by the end of the day (2 period of gofer-ing as a minion, 2 periods of standing and then the beep test!) but I think helping out was really fun, it made me feel good and it was awesome to see the french fair.

3. I felt extremely proud when I was presenting to the judges because I was very confident and clear while I was speaking and I was able to answer all the questions that were asked by the judges and spectators with a large amount of knowledge behind them.

2- Two specific researching or presenting techniques that were helpful to make your project so wonderful.

1. I decided to incorporate some questions in my speech which I found to be very effective. Even if the listener didn't answer my questions it still made them intrigued and feel like they were a part of the project.

2. I think pointing to different parts of my project (such as the advertisements on the poster and the 3D aid) really helped to enhance my speech and make everything flow and fit together beautifully.

1- One suggesting to make the History Fair next year even better.

1. I think next year we should have time after where the participants can go and look at other people's projects. I was suppose to have three judges so I waited at my project throughout the whole English fair for the third judge (who didn't show up). I really enjoyed going to see all the French student's projects and I think it would have been good if we were allowed say, 10 minutes to leave our projects and go looks at other people's.

24 comments:

  1. hahahhaahha !!
    i remember allt he groos and wierd stuff they did that you told me !!
    loooool like; they shaved with sandpaper, like who does that?
    and like they put the..... stuff on there face to remove acne, but honestly thats just disturbing !
    etc... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? It's so gross, I wonder if it even worked...

    ReplyDelete
  3. pfft..... puff the magic dragon.
    it dint work, there just wierd...
    and sorry for my writing, im very retarted :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. *intimidating look* don't say the "R" word! :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. and "puff the magic dragon"? What does that have to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes you do. Seriously though, STOP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok ok (: i wont say it anymore (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. You said it today :(
    A promise is a promise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A PROMISE IS A POROMIS HANNAH !!!!! YOU BETTER COME TO TIRZAHS BIRTHDAY PARTY SO YOU CAN GO TO THE GBD :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A PROMISE IS A PROMISE HANNAH !!! YOU BETTER COME TO TIRZAHS BIRTHDAY PARTY !!! SO YOU CAN GO TO THE GBD (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. YEPP IT IS, BTW YOU BETTTER COME TO TIRZAHS BIRTHDAY PARTY SO YOU CAN GO TO THE GBD,.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But I must make pinata's that day... no joke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol.

    but you must also come for tirzahs birthday party, and you must come to mine (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I shall come to yours but I have to do volunteering stuff for a bunch of things and my church is planning this thing that I have to go to so I will be busy on that certain day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. fine fine. but remember my birthday is august 2 and i always have my birthday party on my birthday except last year cause we didnt have a perfect date. but you deffently shall come to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, yes, I shall come! Guess what? Your birthday is the day before my Daddy's birthday! So I will have party days in a row!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lmfaooo I KNOW SAME !!!! cause vickys birthday is august 1. and mine is august 2. and dakotas is august 6. and kyes is august 6. and pippas is agust 8. and abries is august 7. and my ants is august 2. OMGGGG all these birthdays !!!! and worms birthday is in the early 20's in august too !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't you mad at wormy? Or is he mad at you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hannah,

    You did an AMAZING job on this post, and on your project, AND on being one of my minions!

    Thank you also for reminding Charlotte about appropriate language.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sorry. i didnt know you were going to read this ....

    ReplyDelete