Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Faces of the World


Assignment number 22- Faces of the World

Part A- Globalization

Globalization is when a group of people from different parts of the world of all different races, cultures and beliefs unite to have a bigger population and economy in areas such as trade.

Part B- One would go about making these average faces by taking a bunch of different pictures of faces (usually from the same city or region) and overlap them on top of each other (if you've ever used photoshop it's pretty much the same layering technique) to make one blended face. One time (sorry personal story here) I went on this website where you upload a photo of yourself and it gives you a bunch of faces of celebrities that look like you and you can blend your face together with theirs. I got mostly asian models as my result. However, I also got Alfonso Ribeiro (Carlton from Fresh Prince) who I look nothing like so I'm not sure how accurate it really is. There's another really weird website that girls who are obsessed over actors and other celebrities go on where you can combine your face or an a celebrities face with another celebrities face and it makes a baby. The baby is always freakish looking.

Part C-

1. I decided to click on the city Lima (like in Glee!) and I found it interesting how the average male and female faces looked almost identical. I noticed the same thing in most of the other cities I clicked on.

2. One of the cities I clicked on was Amsterdam and I noticed all the random little rainbows in the corner of people photos (the middle one) that the other cities did not have. I read the stuff underneath the pictures and it said that Amsterdam had a reputation for tolerance being a hippie city in the 70's-80's and is accepting of people of all ethnic groups and sexual orientations (were the rainbows suppose to be gay pride flags?) I don't know, my curiosity got the best of me.

3. I went to the poster section of the website and I clicked on Sydney because it's a relatively multicultural city. It showed some of the faces that they used for the average. They had white, black, asian, south asian (brown) and whatever other races in between going into making one face. I suppose that is why most of the faces are generally the same colour.

For the fun of it I will answer two of Miss Pollock's bracket questions:

What does "the face of tomorrow" mean? I'm assuming that the face of tomorrow means that in the future everyone will have those blended, average faces because people of all different races are starting families with people of different races of themselves. I heard that eventually blondes and blue eyed people will become extinct because it is rare that two blondes will have a baby together and if someone with brown eyes and someone with blue eyes have a baby the child will likely have brown eyes rather than blue.

Why do the differences in our faces give us a sense of identity? No two faces are exactly the same so essentially everyone's face is unique. If someone has--for example--a slightly pointed nose, a large bottom lip or one eye slightly larger than the other then they will have a memorable feature that people think of when they think of that person. Our differences in faces, like in everything else, help to identify others.

Part D- Once it finally finished loading this is the picture I received for my result (below). The pictures I combined to receive this were a white female, a white male, a black female, a black male, an asian male and female (probably chinese) and a brown man and women (maybe from India). Those seem to be the four dominant races and the ones you see mostly so in the face of the future they may all be blended into one unique face.
Okay, I lied I didn't just combine those faces I also threw a redhead into the mix. Apparently being born with red hair isn't always genetic it can be randomized. That is why even though blondes will one day be extinct, redheads will most likely not... I think. However, the average human of the future will probably not be a red head because they are only 1% of the world's population.
Speaking of 1%, only one percent of the world's population is intersex but I decided to make my average face a combination of men and women to represent the entire population rather than only half by picking one gender. I think the face looks more like a female. That could have something to do with the fact that women are an XX chromosome and men are XY. If there was YY, men would probably look more masculine. If you look at a guy closely you can usually see a female face underneath but not really the other way around. It's probably just because I put 5 females and 4 males, I should have found another red headed man.


My face of tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment